Thursday, July 9, 2009

It's a flat, flat world indeed

A friend recently lent a book, "The World Is Flat" to me. This book has been on the best seller list for eons, but it just didnt catch my attention. Probably, I was being judgemental by thinking that it's overhyped.

Since my friend has offered the book to me to read, I took up the offer, just to satisfy my curiosity. Indeed, it's quite a good read. I expected it to be like a typical business book - mundane and factual.

Thomas Friedman, the author of the book, has quite an engaging style actually. I like his style.

I am just into the 2nd chapter, but I already find the book interesting. What is the book basically about?

It's about how innovation and technology have totally changed the word globalization. It's no longer uncommon for an end product to have travelled across the world, from start to finish, in the name of costing.

Also, through technology, the lay person has a chance to be on the same platform as the big boys. It used to only be that the big boys have a chance to establish presence in the market place (due to their market capitalization). Now, with technology, as long as you have a good idea, venture capitalists want to hear from you.

Will write more as I journey through the book

No comments:

Post a Comment